Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Writing....

So I don't know if you've looked at my 101 things list, but if you have you'll notice that the number one thing is to get something published. Well quite frankly, almost three years is too much time in my opinion. I'd prefer to get it done sooner than later, so I have taken on writing as my so-called job. A fellow English major was telling me that if I truely wanted to be a writer, I should treat it like a job and set aside a certain amount of time a day to "work" on it like it were my paying job. So that's what I've been doing, setting aside time every day to do this. Whether it's here, or in my journal, or poetry, something to keep the juices flowing. What I have found, though, is I don't think I have a voice. How does one know, and if in fact I don't have a voice, how do I find it. I personally kind of see myself as Carrie on Sex in the City, where there's just a constant narrative in my head. However, I don't think that shows up in my writing very often. So how did you discover your voice, what do you do to find your nitch in the writing world?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leigh-
In my experience, limited though it is, the only way to find your voice is to write, and to write about things you are passionate about, and to write unfiltered, uncensored, and uninhibited. Do that for awhile, every time inspiration strikes, and you will start to see your voice emerge!

Heather

PS - You have great taste in movies. You can totally be my bff!

L said...

Heather,
Thanks, I'd totally be your bff, loved your site.